Kansas City Kansas Convention & Visitors Bureau
JOB TITLE: Executive Director
STATUS: Full Time
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
Kansas City, KS is located in “the heart of America” at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers and at the crossroads of two transcontinental interstate highways. Kansas City, KS is the third largest city in the state of Kansas with a population of over 152,000 and is the county seat of Wyandotte County. It is part of a greater metropolitan area of nearly two million people. The bi-state region encompasses Kansas City, Missouri and suburbs on both sides of the state line.
This diverse and family-oriented community is known as a place that is “easy to stay in and hard to leave,” and its citizens enjoy a healthy lifestyle, a variety of recreational and cultural activities, and ample employment opportunities. In Kansas City, KS, small-town charm and friendliness intersect with national retail, attractions and entertainment. Moreover, an amazing ethnic and cultural diversity infuses the city with the flavors, traditions and languages that make this community a true melting pot.
Kansas City KS boasts abundant recreational and visitor amenities, including Kansas Speedway, Sporting KC soccer, T-bones minor league baseball, Hollywood Casino and a variety of shopping and entertainment options in the Village West area. There is a wealth of historical and cultural attractions, such as Strawberry Hill Museum, Grinter State Historic Site, and the Quindaro Ruins. Annual events such as the Kansas City Renaissance Festival and the American Royal BBQ Contest bring visitors from all over the United States. Breaking ground in 2019 is the new American Royal Event Complex that includes 300,000 sq. ft. of exhibit space, a 5,000-8,000 seat arena and an agricultural educational component. There are 1,897 hotel rooms in Kansas City KS plus another 147 in Wyandotte County. The KC metropolitan bi-state area has over 30,000 rooms.
The Kansas City Kansas Convention & Visitors Bureau
The mission of the Kansas City Kansas Convention & Visitors Bureau (KCK CVB) is to market Kansas City KS as a visitor destination and to increase the number of overnight stays. The KCK CVB is a 501 (c) 6 organization contracted by the Unified Government of KCK / WyCo. A portion of the Transient Guest Tax collected in Kansas City KS funds the KCK CVB. The Executive Director reports to a twelve person Board of Directors comprised of Unified Government and hospitality representatives. The 2019 annual budget is just under $1.2 million. There is currently a staff of six full time employees.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the Kansas City Kansas Convention & Visitors Bureau. This position directs and leads the bureau toward its mission, works directly with a Board of Directors on policy making and strategy for the organization, acts as primary spokesperson for the organization and oversees all administrative, operating and marketing functions of the Bureau.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Controls Day-to-Day operations at the KCK CVB. Oversees all administrative, HR, operating and marketing functions of the bureau.
• Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates all KCK CVB staff. Coordinates staff training, oversees implementation of discipline and termination procedures for all staff members. Conducts annual reviews, establishes goals for individual staff members, and assists staff in order to meet those goals.
• Develops and maintains effective organizational policies and ensures all bureau activities are implemented within these established policies, guidelines, laws and ethical standards.
• Develops and supervises the implementation of an annual budget and marketing plan.
• Keeps track and approves all expenditures. Holds general responsibility for management of organizations finances by monitoring and controlling all operating expenses within the approved budget. Oversees the creation of financial reports and annual audit reports in accordance with procedures approved by the Board.
• Serves as an ex officio nonvoting member of the Board and all committees, including the Executive Committee. Advises/recommends the Chairman of the Board, the Board and other committees. Orients and educates new board members. Plans and arranges board meetings, including the preparation and distribution of meeting agendas and minutes.
• Represents the Bureau at local, state, regional and national conventions and organizations that serve to foster the betterment of the bureau’s mission. Oversees and monitors staff involvement in travel and marketing associations.
• Primary spokesperson for the bureau. Responsible for all communications to the travel industry and public. Point person for local, state, national and international media.
• Establishes and maintains ongoing effective communication with Board members, government leaders, business and cultural institution leaders, and the local, state, and national tourism industry
• Point person for legislative issues related to the tourism industry. Communicates to the Board legislative issues and information that may affect the tourism industry.
• Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
• College degree in Tourism , Business or Public Administration or relevant work experience
• Five to seven years experience in a Senior Strategic Leadership role
• Knowledge of marketing, business practices and procedures
• Comprehension of basic accounting and budgeting procedures
• Proven experience successfully managing multiple projects in a fast paced environment
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to provide leadership
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience in supervision with proven ability to recruit, train and develop staff
• Ability to work extended hours and travel out of area
• Independent project management skills
• Kansas City KS residency requirement within 6 months of employment
• Knowledge of destination marketing sales, business theories, practices and procedures
• Travel industry related managerial experience
Salary and benefits
The KCK CVB offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, ranging from $80,000 - $100,000. Additional benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, plus a 401K match.
Submit your resume and cover letter to hr@visitKansasCityKS.com
Application / resume deadline: Friday, July 26, 2019
The KCK CVB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in its workplace. Applicants selected as a finalist for this position will be subject to a comprehensive background check.