With the blink of an eye the sun is out, the weather is warming up, and everyone seems to be catching that familiar spring fever. Visitors getting away for a few days and locals looking to occupy their young ones will be pleased to discover all of the kid friendly sites, restaurants and activities found in Kansas City, KS. Here are a few free, fun and even (shhh...) educational ideas for you to include in your spring break plans!
- Start with a Selfie Scavenger Hunt – The Kansas City Kansas Visitors Guide is a great tool to help you plan a trip or guide you around once you’re here! You can find the it here or stop in our office in downtown to pick up a copy! Flip to page 22 of the guide and start the Selfie Scavenger Hunt! Don’t forget to share your photos with us by using #KCKselfie!
- Journey the Footsteps of Famous Explorers – In 1804 Lewis and Clark camped at Kaw Point, along the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri rivers, for three days. Kaw Point Riverfront Park features beautiful trails for strolling, biking and nature watching. The open air education pavilion includes information about the famous expedition, along with the best view of downtown Kansas City.
- Enjoy the Great Outdoors, Indoors – Cabela’s Kansas City is known as one of the most top – notch one-stop-shops for all of your hunting, fishing and outdoor needs. During weekends throughout the year, Cabela’s offers free classes to help you hone your craft in fishing techniques including fly casting and fly tying. Kids will be all oohs-and-ahs as they wander through the giant freshwater aquarium, African diorama and the mule deer museum.
- Put Down the iPad, Learn a New Game – Moon Marble Company in Bonner Springs, KS brings in thousands of visitors each year, all eager explore the wacky, colorful store, and to marvel at the marble making process. Along with the demonstrations, kids can gather around and try their hand in learning to play unique, old timey marble games.
- Brush up on your Kansas History – Spring time sales and special offers aren’t the only reason to check out Legends Outlet’s Kansas City on a bring sunny day. Scattered throughout the outdoor shopping, dining and entertainment district are murals and sculptures paying tribute to famous Kansans. These works of art are more than just for show! Legends offers a downloadable scavenger hunt so kids (and adults) can explore and learn a little about these legendary Kansans and their role in the state’s history.